CAFOD walk for water
9th February 2021
Water Droplet Trail
As you take your daily walks and exercise, walk with a purpose and walk for water.
We are joining CAFOD’s Water Droplet Trail to show how even though we are apart, we are still all connected.
If you would like join us over half term in the ‘Walk for Water Campaign’, it is taking place virtually on Saturday 20th February.
Also we are encouraging you to take part in the Water Droplet Trail. Please stick a droplet in your window and then walk and see how many droplets you can see.
- To watch our assembly again click here
- Who are we helping?
- CAFOD Water droplet trail template
- Walk for water Sponsorship form
Walking for Water - Saturday 20th February
Abdella has walked for water daily for 12 years. He lives in Afar, Ethiopia - one of the hottest places on earth. Like hundreds of people in the area, he spends most of every day getting water for his family. With a water point nearer home, his family would no longer have to worry about getting enough to stay alive. And Abdella could start on the dreams he has for the rest of his life.
Our school community is getting involved so that CAFOD local experts can give communities like Abdella's the support they need to transform their lives. You could get sponsored by the number of steps, by the distance you walk or by the number of walks.
Did you know:
£33 can provide water for a family
£40 can bring safe drinking water to a hard-to-reach school
£750 can bring water to an entire community
How do we join the Water Droplet Trail?
- As a class, school or family, download the water droplet template so everybody taking part has one.
- Each person fills in the water droplet or draw and decorate your own! Don't forget to include 'I'm walking for water with CAFOD'.
- Put your water droplet in a window that can be seen from outside your building.
- When you go out for a walk in the area, look out for other people displaying the CAFOD water droplet! How many can you find?
Every time you spot one of the CAFOD water droplets displayed in windows around your community, think of people like Abdul and Mohammed in Ethiopia. The steps you take on your walk could help communities like theirs have access to clean water.
Abdul and Mohammed live in the Afar region of Ethiopia. It is one of the hottest places on Earth. Water is scarce, and Abdul and Mohammed’s cousin Abdella makes a five-hour round trip twice a day so that everyone has enough to wash with and to drink.
How can my walking raise money?
There are many ways you can use the water droplet trail to help our global neighbours:
- Count how many water droplets you find – donate some money for each one.
- Set a challenge for how far your family can walk, or a target for how much you can raise.
- You could get friends and family to sponsor your Water Droplet Trail walk – how many days can you do it for? How far can you go?
How can I donate?
- Donate online
- Text CAFOD to 70480 to donate £5
Texts cost £5 plus one standard rate message and you’ll be opting in to hear more about our work and fundraising via telephone and SMS. If you’d like to give £5 but do not wish to receive marketing communications, text CAFODNOINFO to 70480. Read our text giving FAQs for more information.